Thursday, March 6, 2008

FW Omniture Summit 2008 11:00-12:00 BreakOut | Excell Publishing

11:00 Excell Publishing Improving Data Accessibility
Tim Lott Product Manager, Omniture
Kevin Willeitner, Consultant, Omniture
Mike Fried, Director of Strategic Analysis, Backcountry

Excel knowledge Test (everyone stood up and then 12 excel topics were defined and you had to sit down if you did not know what it was. I made it to round 10 but got out on a visual basic macro question, I did not win the ipod nano but out of a room with 200 people I survived standing long enough to be in the top 10. I thought I was an excel nut/nerd nope there are FAR BETTER than I)
Excel client overview

Report customization Business specific reporting custom calculations, analysis tools Automation. And automation

Old Style: Build refresh, save, distribute, repeat
New Style: Build, upload, Publish to a schedule

Reporting best practices:
KPI Tied $ frequently
Keep it simple no 14 color stop light
Benchmark against yourself actual to the forcast, goal,
Make it taken care of in a timly fassion
Context/ history of the data
Flexibility ------- Now you can compare this wendsday to the last 5 wendsdays instead of just last.
Distributable
Good looking

Back county.com
500M page loads
600 full time Employees in the peak season
Seven sites Explorer 64, DogFunk, Back Country, BackCountryOutlet, WiskyMillita, SteepAndCheap, and some moose jaw I cant write fast enough.
75% of sales occur on line: Marketing merchandising, site optimization
25% sakes Offline and partner sites.

When all of the data was combined he had a 97% accuracy when compared to his back end purchasing software so that gave him lots of confidence in the data.

Combine offline and online
Online – site catalyst
Offline data – Omniture Discover
Brought it all together in the “rosetta” report
Unified VISTA RULE? To track organic search as a channel

1/3 of the annual sales right before Christmas. 50% of annual sales in 25%
Revenue = traffic conversion x aov (he did not say but I think that aov means Average Order Value) Because of his short sales cycle he needs to know about changes in sales and changes in the way that his company is doing business. And the Excell cliant is a way to keep tabs on the business. Every morning afternoon and evening he goes to the workbook and refreshes the data. He also uses alot of forcasting to see where defficets or surpluses over or under a goal will put him at the end of the year.

I also learned that there is a small store at the warehouse in SLC.

This is the end of the break out session notes-- But if you read to here and are still interested I will tell you what happened after. So I went up to Mike and thanked him for the presentation and introduced my self as a BYU Student... Thanked him for letting us use his DogFunk, and Back Country Outlet Data. (I think that he was happy to be thanked for that.) And then I shamelessly told him that my partner and I were able to make it to the finals of the competition this semester and we came up with an equation that modeled the effect of price changes on total expected Revenue. He said "So you are the guy that came up with that formula, I heard about you. I have not gotten your presentation from Omniture yet" (I tried my hardest to fight the swelling of my head), that’s us we have an integral with a decaying exponential that we have put well over 100 hours into that we would love to take 5 minutes to show you. He agreed that that would be great. He gave me his card, I did not have anything to give him in return..... But Agreed to email him to set up a time. I guess that when you type it all in it seems really dumb. But to me it was a big deal. I am a punk student with no real skills or experience so every opportunity that I get to rub shoulders of people who have MADE IT. Is a great experience for me. I hope that our future interactions are fruitful.

Rob

No comments: