Thursday, April 10, 2008

RA Movie: I am Legand with Will Smith

Now that blue ray has finally won out over HD DVD, and the Home HD experience is upon us. I did it........ I purchased my first SD (standard Definition) DVD. Am I behind the times or what?

I must admit that I don’t watch much TV, if at all in a week, but Do love movies, And I am a frequent patron to the red boxes around Provo. This week I came to the realization that I once you add all of my late fees to the mix. I am paying almost as much as if I had just bought the DVD. So when My brother and sister were in town this past week and their suggested movie " I am Legend" was not a Red Box or Hollywood video, I went out and bought it. And I don’t regret it. If you have not seen it, stop here and go and see it, if you have please read the remainder of this post for my Rhetorical analysis of the movie.

I am going to analyze how effective the makers of this movie were able to persuade, or pull you into the movie's reality.

First the Plot: In New York a doctor comes up with a cure for cancer and it has cured 10006 of its 10006 test subjects, however as you learn through flashbacks there are dire consequences, you turn into a zombie like creature. Through their flash backs you learn that the disease became airborne, and also passed from infected to uninfected. The government sealed off NY Island by exploding the bridges. The disease killed 98% of its hosts and the rest are zombies, except will smith and his dog who he has protected from the disease.

All of the above information was given through flash backs as the present of th Movie, Will Smith is alone in Long Island, hunts from his mustang, the deer that run the streets. and Will Smith in his basement is trying to come up with a way to transfer his immunity to the infected.


What worked:
In the city shots when will smith was out and about, the city was supposed to look as if it has stayed still for 3 years, there are weeds growing up through the cracks in all of the streets, and all of the cars that were once jam packed trying to get out of the city are still in the streets. Everything had a dusty look to it. Some of the buildings had plastic wrapped around them with the Bio hazard symbols on it. I first though that the plastic was to keep the infection out, but when i thought more about it, it was to keep the infection from getting out of the building. All of these Computer effects were effective in pulling me into the movie because if the way they created a logical, landscape for the situation, they also used emotion through specific examples of families that were infected, to generate fear of the disease and to reinforce its reality.

Some things that did not work:
Despite the strong pull for logic in the NY Cityscape, during the movie, I realized that there were some significant flaws that detracted me from completely believing their reality and that was the city was in far to good of shape. There were no sighs of looting, damage, fire, bones, broken glass or anything that would indicate that there had been a massive disturbance of the city. AKA every one is running for or defending their lives. not to mention the fact that there are millions of zombies that come out at night and look for food..... and they are not very calm or peaceful creatures.

If the movie makers would have addressed these issues in their logical argument for the films reality they would have pulled more viewers into the movie. As it currently sits I would give the movie a 8 out of 10 for its effectiveness, to pull in the viewers.

1 comment:

geraldine shales said...

i own the movie myself and i watch it all the time will smith is all that and more