Sunday, April 13, 2008

FW Ben in Alaska

Basically my brother and his wife screwed themselves over, royally. My brother Ben is a pre medical student studding biology at BYU-I He and his wife took an internship in Alaska, where they called me from today, to wish me a happy birthday. I turned that phone call into I hope, a benificial conversation to motivate them do some thing that they have been dreading and putting off. Namely petition to switch tracts at school. BYU-I is so retarted in that they even have "tracks" it is a way of rationing the student body in such a way that every student has and only has 2 semesters a year that they can atttend school, I guess that this allows more students to attend. The unfortunate situation is that the medical internship in alaska is 8 months long, this means that Ben will miss his opportunity to attend school because of the internship and when he gets back he will be "off track" which means that he can not attend. Through the meny phone calls his wife has made to try to get things straightened out she spoke with a man who is on the committee who would make the decision about swithing tracts said that they could submit an online 300 word petition "but that they never even looked at them". So with out any feeling of success they have done nothing.......... I spoke with them briefly (only about2 hours.....) and helped them trough an argument analysis and I think that we came to the conclusion that they could build a strong argument via logos pathos and ethos. It is imposable for me to right down all of what we said but I truly enjoyed the power that Rhetorical analysis has allowed me to put good arguments together in a logical way that is targeted to my audience.

No comments: